The National Equity Standards
3. Preservice and in-service education equips faculty, administrators, and staff with the skills needed to teach and work with diverse student populations and communities
- Regular in-service education is offered to help educational staff identify and overcome bias and to confidently meet the needs of a diverse classroom/school.
- Information is provided to educational staff regarding local, regional, and national workshops, conferences, and professional development opportunities related to diversity and equity issues. Equitable support is provided for participation in those activities.
- Teachers increasingly indicate they feel prepared to meet the needs of diverse students and understand the profession in the context of our diverse society.
- Preservice teacher education links content knowledge, experience, and diversity with instructional strategies that enhance student achievement.
- Preservice practicums and/or student teaching experiences provide teachers and administrators experience in working with a wide variety of students.
- Curriculum standards for professional programs emphasize the integration of theory and practice as related to diversity and utilize performance assessment and field experience to support learning.
- Curriculum standards for professional programs emphasize all aspects of subject content and include the contributions of diverse populations.