The National Equity Standards
2. Educational leaders assure equity in governance
- An identified individual or group (e.g., administrator and/or experienced faculty) takes leadership for ensuring equity is an integral part of daily school life and all educational processes.
- School personnel, especially those from underrepresented groups, have the opportunity to influence formal and informal decision-making at all levels.
- All school committees contain members who are knowledgeable about equity issues and are representative of the diversity of the educational community.
- Leadership roles (e.g., department chairs and chairs of special committees) reflect the gender and ethnic make-up of the educational community.
- Administrators are evaluated on their support and incorporation of equity standards.
- School resources are targeted at addressing equity and diversity issues including making time available to staff members to collaborate and improve their own skills and knowledge regarding student diversity.