RUReadyND.com Frequently Asked Questions
RUReadyND.com is moved forward in the fall of 2013 with a new platform makes the site more useful and intuitive. The new generation platform has a different look and feel while providing you with all of the same content you are used to – but more! Instead of choosing a product as in the past (Choices Explorer/Choices Planner), the user chooses a role (Middle School/High School/College/Adult/Parent) so the information will be integrated throughout the program.
A new assessment, Career Key, was added to help students get started with their Career Planning and there are Milestones that help a student and teacher/counselor keep track of their progress.
Be sure to sign up for workshops where you’ll be able to learn how to navigate this new system.
These Quick Reference Guides (QRGs) will help:
Creating and Accessing Accounts:
- How to Get Started with RUReadyND.com - Public School Students (pdf)
- Public school students in North Dakota already have accounts created in RUReadyND.com. Students will follow the instructions in this QRG to access all of the planning features and their own personal portfolio.
- How to Get Started with RUReadyND.com - Private/Tribal/Other School Students (pdf)
- Students will follow the instructions in this QRG to create an account and access all of the planning features and their own personal portfolio.
- How to Create a Temporary Account for Students (pdf)
- Students who have recently transferred to a public school in North Dakota may need to create a temporary account in RUReadyND.com. Please note that accounts will be created for new/transferred students through the autoload process on at least a weekly basis and you will only create a temporary account if a student needs to use the account immediately.
- How to get Started with testGEAR (pdf)
- Learn how to access testGEAR for online test preparation to help improve performance on high school exit and college entrance exams.
- How to Create a Professional Account for First Time Users (pdf)
- Create a Professional Account for RUReadyND.com to track student work and communicate with students.
- How to Access your Professional Account for Returning Users (pdf)
- If you have used a RUReadyND.com Professional Account in the past, your Account Name and Password will continue to work in the next generation product. Follow the instructions in this QRG to access your account.
- How to get Started with testSCOPE (pdf)
- testSCOPE, the professional component of testGEAR, is used to view your students’ progress in their online test preparation.
- How to Get Started with RUReadyND.com for Adults (pdf)
- RUReadyND.com can help any adult who is looking for a new job, planning to go to school or updating their resume. Use this QRG to create an account to access all tools and save your work.
- How to Get Started with RUReadyND.com for Parents (pdf)
- Parents can create their own account in RUReadyND.com! Use this QRG to create an account to access all tools and save your work.
Plans of Study
- Create a Plan of Study with RUReadyND.com
- Create your individual career and academic course plan in RUReadyND.com.
- How to Access, View and Print Archived Student Plans of Study
- If you need to access the course plans students created with the Course Plan Builder in Choices (in the "old" RUReadyND.com), use this QRG to view and print the archived course plan.
- What is RUReadyND.com?
- This one page handout provides a overview of RUReadyND.com and the features of the program.
- 101 Ways to Use RUReadyND.com in the Classroom (pdf)
- A - Z for RUReadyND.com (pdf)
What do we do when students forget their passwords or account names?
Students can reset their own passwords or retrieve their account names by following the "Forgot your account name or password?" link on the sign in screen at RUReadyND.com and providing their name, account name and/or e-mail address as indicated. Students can also request that their password be reset by clicking on the "Request your password be reset by your counselor or advisor" link. If you have multiple professional/administrator accounts at your school, students will be able to select from a drop down list whom they send the request to.
What are the guidelines for passwords?
Passwords must be a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 12 letters/numbers or a combination of both. No spaces are allowed.
Are there any new terms and acronyms I should be familiar with?
Yes, there may be some terms and acronyms that you've not seen before. We've created this Glossary to help.
Is student information in RUReadyND.com confidential?
Yes, please review the information in the Confidentiality and RUReadyND.com document for more information.
Will I have to create a new Professional Account?
If you have a Professional Account, it will be moved over to the new site. There are a few possible exceptions. If your account name is too long (there is a limit to characters with the new site), it won’t work. I understand that there are very few of those so most of you should have your account in the new site. Again, if you don’t – give XAP a call at 1-800-281-1168 and they will hunt it down for you! See the Quick Reference Guides for instructions on accessing your Professional Account.
If you have not had a Professional Account in the past, see the Quick Reference Guides for instructions on creating an account.
I'm using Safari and I can't get to the student side/shadow account from the Professional Center. What do I need to do?
The first thing to do is check if you are blocking pop-ups. The student side "shadow" account opens in a new pop-up window. Instructions for unblocking pop-ups in Safari.
I heard the student accounts are going to be autoloaded to the new site. Is this true and what does that mean?
There is an account for every public school student in North Dakota. See the Quick Reference Guides above for instructions on accessing these accounts.
Portfolios from the old site were merged with the new site and we are finding that most of them merged quite well between the old and the new. Those that weren't merged probably have the wrong birthday or graduation year or something similar missing. If you or a student can’t find their portfolio, give XAP a call at 1-800-281-1168. Accounts that did not match were left on the old site and can still be accessed and merged to the new account by students, professionals or XAP’s Customer Service people.
It is important to note that testGEAR will have a separate account from the new site. See the Quick Reference Guides above for instructions on creating and accessing these accounts.
Why does my school not appear in the dropdown menu when students are creating a new account?
Public schools do not appear in the dropdown menu because students at public schools do not need to create a new account, the accounts have already been created for them through the autoload process. Students just need to access their account using the instructions in the Quick Reference Guide How to Get Started with RUReadyND.com - Public School Students. If students have trouble signing in to their account, one of the first things to check is that they are carefully keying in the password as specified in the QRG. Also, students need to use their name as it appears in PowerSchool, e.g., "Johnathon" maybe attempting to sign in using "John" as a first name and if the PowerSchool file has "Johnathon", they will not be able to sign in. If students have trouble accessing their autloaded RUReadyND.com account, please contact XAP at 1-800-281-1168 or the Career Resource Network at 701-328-9733.
Private schools, tribal/BIA schools, and state institutions are not included in the autoload process, and these schools will appear in the dropdown menu.
Why do some students have empty portfolios when they had previously entered information into an account?
There could be many reasons for this. Generally speaking, something didn’t match in the merging process. The most frequent reasons for that would be that either the birthdates did not match or the graduation year was not a match. It is also possible that if a student moved from one school to another, the match was uncertain (i.e. Minot to Dickinson). Regardless the reason, all accounts that previously existed (called legacy accounts) are still there. We just need to hunt them down. If you are having trouble merging student accounts, please call XAP Customer Support. They can walk you through the process and/or help you find the account.
Where will I find the Choices Explorer information in the new site?
The Choices Explorer and Choices Planner information is (with very few exceptions) all included in the new site. It is arranged differently and the information from both is merged together in many cases but by clicking on the tabs at the top of the page, you should be able to locate what you need. We do realize that what is intuitive to one might not be for another so don’t hesitate to give us – or XAP – a call if you can’t find something.
How can I adjust the age of a student from the professional center?
It isn’t possible for the professional to change birthdates from the professional site but you can work with the student to change their birthdate if it was entered incorrectly. Just have the student log in, go to Your Portfolio, click on The Basics and then click Edit in the upper right hand corner. That will take you to the page that allows you to make changes. Be sure you have them Save before they leave the page.
What else will be NEW with RUReadyND.com for the 2013-14 school year?
- Role-based platform – Instead of logging in to a product as you have in the past, you will identify your role as to whether you are Middle School, High School, Adult, College, Parent or Educator. Each of these roles will have customized content and resources.
- New navigation – The tools and functions you are familiar with are still a part of the program but streamlined into more straightforward tab locations. New tabs include Career Planning, High School Planning, Financial Aid Planning, Off to Work, and College Planning.
- Milestones – Milestones are recommended career planning activities in the program. These are tracked in a user’s account and will be customizable at the school level by educators to suit their needs.
- Will multiple dates show up if students have done an activity more than once?
- No, for the most part. Just the most recent date will show up. There is an exception or two to that rule (assessments, for example) but almost all will show just the last date.
- Will multiple dates show up if students have done an activity more than once?
- Financial Aid Planning – There will be increased access to resources for financial aid planning, including several Financial Aid Calculators to assist in planning for postsecondary study.
I really liked using the "Math in Real Life" activities. Are they on the new site?
Yes, they are! They are attached to every profile that has the activities (the O*NET only careers do not have the activities…only the careers that have come from Choices Explorer). Click on the Career Planning tab, then Explore Careers, the Cluster and then the Occupation…if it had an activity before, you will see it here. So essentially, if a career has the activities the tab will appear, if they don’t then there will be far fewer tabs.
What should I do/not do to prepare for the new platform?
DO clean up and merge accounts for an easier migration
DO watch for communication from the Career Resource Network
DO sign up for workshops that will take place througout the school year
DO plan to attend the CTE Professional Development Conference (PDC) to get the first look at the new RUReadyND.com
DON’T update your custom course plans in the summer
DON’T auto-create student accounts in the summer
DON’T update or create groups in the summer
DON’T update lesson plans or instructions in the summer
What will happen with the Student Course Plans/Plans of Study that were in Choices?
If you need to access the course plans your students created with the Course Plan Builder in Choices (in the "old" RUReadyND.com), follow the directions in the How to Access, View and Print Archived Student Plans of Study Quick Reference Guide.
Will we need to transfer student accounts?
As students move from place to place within the state, their accounts will move with them with the new system, just as they do with PowerSchool. That includes transfers or those who are going from middle to high school or even those who are released because they graduated.
What will happen to the Career Finder that is in Choices Explorer?
There will no longer be the Career Finder (the one in Choices Explorer that is a Career Quiz). The results of that inventory will not move with the transition. If you do need those results, please do what you have always been told is not necessary – print them, scan them, and save them to the portfolio OR do a screen shot and upload that to the portfolio. I know time is short this year but I would recommend having the students do that if you do have time. My guess is that these results will be quickly replaced with the results of a better assessment so you may not find it helpful at all. Your choice, of course!